Claims Specialist Property - Claims Adjuster
Bell & Clements Limited is a Lloyd’s Broker authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. We became part of the Munich Re Group in May 2007.
We specialize in providing US Managing General Agents (“MGAs”) with a comprehensive service for surplus lines business. We are acknowledged market leaders in arranging binding authorities for US MGAs and in managing the relationship between the MGA and the insurers.
We also provide, through our Bell & Clements Underwriting Managers division, a capability to quote and bind a wide variety of risks under our own in-house binding authorities.
Based in London and the USA, the B&C Claims Department currently has a team of over 20 employees.
The Role –Claims Specialist, Property (Claims Adjuster) Based in London Offices
The Claims Specialist in the Property team is a critical role in our growing Claims Department, and will be responsible to direct all aspects of file handling on both in-house and third-party administered property claims, with growth opportunity in depth of technical handling and multi-faceted professional development. The Claims Specialist will also direct the adjusting and litigation process, strategically partner with counsel, experts and vendors, and drive optimal claim resolutions. The Claims Specialist will analyse and determine coverage, manage the claim investigation, evaluate the overall claim, communicate promptly with internal and external stakeholders, and pursue recoveries and risk transfer where warranted in a variety of property claims.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Thorough investigation and assessment of claims for coverage, and damages, and pursuit of recoveries and subrogation/contribution opportunities.
- In-depth understanding of coverage issues, policy forms, contracts, regulatory requirements, and changing legal landscape for property and casualty claims.
- Proactive and prompt management of claims, considering all aspects with a strategic vision for optimal claim outcome.
- Continual evaluation claim to set appropriate, timely reserves over the life of the claim to reflect changes in exposure.
- Demonstrate strong technical claims proficiency through consistent execution of best claim practices.
- Strategically coordinate and manage outside counsel and vendors to obtain optimal claim outcome.
- Present high exposure claims to Claims Leadership and Key Stakeholders.
- Collaborate with internal and external business partners for client meetings, product development and improvement, and account audits.
- Innovative mindset - looks for ways to improve claim efficiencies and outcomes.
- Financial reserve and settlement authority will be dependent on the skills and experience of the successful candidate
- Proactively managing claims with a strategic, total cost of claim mindset.
- Highly technical analytical and critical thinking ability to properly determine coverage and liability.
Skills and experience
- 5 years plus experience of property claims; experience in casualty and auto/cargo (physical damage) lines is a plus.
- Detail-oriented, adaptable, and strategic in decision-making.
- Understanding of technical claims proficiency and execution of best claim practices.
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, and remain self-motivated in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills and time management of claims desk.
- Strong business acumen and ability to collaborate with other departments and vendors.
- Customer-service and relationship oriented.
- Innovative, dynamic and growth mindset.
- Good verbal and writing skills for internal and external communication, presentations and reporting.
- Good analytical thinking, advocacy and negotiation skills.
GCSEs, A–C Grades essential
A Levels / Diploma (preferred)
Terms and Conditions
- This position is offered on a permanent basis
- Annual salary will be dependent on the skills and experience of the successful candidate
Bell and Clements is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.