Bell & Clements is a leading expert in understanding and connecting US coverholders and brokers to flexible and innovative insurance solutions. We are also a registered Lloyd’s Broker. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Munich Re, we have access to the expertise, products and risk appetite of one of the largest and most successful insurance groups in the world.
We are specialists in offering expertise in underwriting, broking and capacity management for US Excess and Surplus (E&S) lines insurance solutions. The unique combination of broking and underwriting divisions provides the ability to quote and bind risks through inhouse binding authorities, while providing customers with access to Lloyd’s, London Market companies, and Munich Re owned capacity in Germany and the US.
Why join us?
We are a responsible employer, with a reputation for innovation and adding value in the insurance distribution chain. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Munich Re, we have access to the expertise, products, risk appetite and career development opportunities of one of the largest and most successful insurance groups in the world. As our business continues to grow, we are committed to expanding our team and provide development opportunities to ensure we are always supporting our people in their career journey. Our talent pool makes us who we are, and our inclusive culture means we are looking to continue to build our team with broad expertise, diverse backgrounds, and ambitious employees. Being part of Bell & Clements provides access to multiple health and wellbeing benefits, work-life balance initiatives (including hybrid working), financial wellbeing packages as well as training, development and career opportunities.
The Role – Senior Broker - North American Property Binding Authority
To produce, broker and negotiate North American Property (ideally binding authority) business to current and emerging markets. To produce general information for presentation to Underwriters and Clients.
- Build, develop and maintain existing business relationships through proactive contact.
- Produce and develop new business opportunities for new and existing clients.
- Produce and present statistical and data analysis relating to performance of London placed business.
- Manage the entire process relating to the placement of assigned contracts with Lloyd's Syndicates and London Companies.
- Request from clients and prepare contract renewal presentation material for syndicates.
- Negotiate contract placements with clients and markets.
- Monitor the US Contract renewals and help ensure that renewals are issued in good time.
- Liaise with In-House Underwriting and GLUK Underwriting divisions on business and customer issues.
- Liaise with the Claims Department in the resolution of Underwriter Claims queries.
- Handle new and renewal open market risks.
- Assist in resolving queries from other departments in a timely manner.
- To provide assistance to the Chief Broking Officer and Head of Broking as required in order to achieve the departments objectives.
- To support with the training, development and knowledge sharing within the team and across the business where required.
- Take responsibility for resolving queries from other departments, insurers & clients.
- Ensure all queries are dealt with in a timely manner by telephone or in writing.
- Identify when additional assistance is required to resolve queries and request assistance from senior staff member or other departments wherever necessary
- US travel / Client visits as and when required.
- To embrace and actively implement the core principles of Continuous Conversations (Commitments, Feedback and Development) as part of daily activities and with other colleagues.
- Take ownership of and make personal and professional development a priority as part of Continuous Conversations.
- In line with Continuous Conversations, establish and achieve development aspirations and needs through the setting of commitments and giving and receiving frequent, constructive feedback (referring to resources provided for support)
- To abide by the policies and procedures of Bell & Clements Ltd
Key Skills and Experience
Over 10 years experience in North American Property (ideally binding authority) business
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills
- Strong analytical and numerical skills
- Understanding of the market and industry, ability to identify changes and adjust accordingly
- Proven relationship builder with Underwriters and customers, broad network of relationships across the market
- Collaborative, team player
- Innovative thinker, actively seeks out new opportunities and ways of doing things
- Results, solution and delivery oriented
- Ability to prioritise, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent presentation skills
- This position is offered on a Permanent basis.
- Annual salary will be dependent on the skills and experience of the successful candidate.
- Annual leave - 25 days per year (plus bank holidays), increases with length of service.
- Health & Wellbeing – our offering includes private medical insurance for employees, their partners and their families, a Digital GP service and an annual allowance (currently £550) any activities and/or equipment which supports health and wellbeing.
- Hybrid and remote working – to support your work balance we have introduced hybrid working. You will be provided with support to work from home up to a maximum of three days per week.
- Flexible working hours – the opportunity to flex your working hours.
- Generous gender-neutral family leave policy - employees with 26 weeks’ continuous service at the Expected Week of Childbirth are eligible to receive 26 weeks full pay.
- Professional Qualification Support – (discretionary) financial support covering the cost of professional qualifications, including institute membership, exams, study materials and completion bonuses.
- Team fun – warm and social culture with regular get togethers.
Bell and Clements is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or parental status.