Bell & Clements is a specialist insurance company offering expertise in underwriting, broking and capacity management provisions for Excess and Surplus (E&S) lines insurance solutions. The unique combination of broking and underwriting divisions provides the ability to quote and bind risks through inhouse binding authorities, while providing customers with access to Lloyd’s, US and international markets. Bell & Clements has been part of the Munich Re Group since 2007 and is a registered Lloyd’s broker. There are over 150 staff based across the London headquarters and two U.S offices in Virginia and New Jersey with close collaboration throughout.
Bell & Clements offers industry leading technology solutions that benefit both customers and inhouse processes. Being part of the Munich Re Group enables an inclusive culture that is progressive and ambitious with an established employee benefits program.
Why join us?
We are a responsible employer, a value-adding partner, and an innovative name in the insurance market. Building on a proven industry background over 35 years, we have developed and grown a unique and market-leading brand. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Munich Re, we have access to the expertise, products and risk appetite of one of the largest and most successful insurance groups in the world. Our business is continuing to grow, and a key commitment is to not only expand our team through recruiting new roles but also through development opportunities to ensure we are always supporting our talented experts in their career journey. Our talent pool makes us who we are, and our inclusive culture means we are looking to continue to build our team with broad expertise, diverse backgrounds, and ambitious employees. Being part of Bell & Clements provides access to multiple health and wellbeing benefits, work and life balance initiatives (including hybrid working),financial wellbeing packages as well as training, development and career opportunities.
To assume a prominent role in all aspects of the management of the B&C Managed Underwriting department. This includes the profitable underwriting of managed business, management of Nat Cat budget allocation and Cat aggregate deployment, developing new and existing business relationships, and the detailed analysis of the underwriting results of managed business.
- To work with the Chief Underwriting Officer and other Underwriters on the management of all aspects of B&C's managed underwriting business.
- To underwrite B&C Managed U/W property business in accordance with applicable underwriting authority, underwriting guidelines, internal directives, targets and client strategies.
- To provide detailed contract analysis, rate review, and reviews of risk level data and aggregate utilisation to provide evidence of performance.
- To take an active involvement in B&C’s strategic initiatives.
- To play a prominent role in developing and overseeing new and existing business relationships.
- To develop innovative insurance solutions and products in addition to conventional covers in close co-operation with other business units.
- To produce reports for Underwriting committees, QBR, or other committees as required.
- To oversee the activities of Underwriters as required.
- To assist in the process of Nat Cat budget allocation, and Cat scenario aggregate deployment.
- To embrace and actively implement the core principles of Continuous Conversations (Commitments, Feedback and Development) as part of daily activities and with other colleagues.
- Take ownership of and make personal and professional development a priority as part of Continuous Conversations.
- In line with Continuous Conversations, establish and achieve development aspirations and needs through the setting of commitments and giving and receiving frequent, constructive feedback (referring to resources provided for support).
Key Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience of underwriting either facultative or delegated US Insurance.
- Property or Personal Lines experience preferred.
- Experience of working directly with Coverholders preferred, but at least experience of working with a Broker.
- Some experience of modelling or RLD analysis preferred.
- A good team player with the ability to co-ordinate with multiple stakeholders concurrently.
- A self starter with the ability and confidence to able to make real time decisions.
Analytical skills / experience:
- Previous experience in an analytical role.
- An understanding of insurance statistics.
- Need to have an analytical mindset and be able to work innovatively.
Desirable IT skills:
- Experience of using RMS Risklink is required.
- SQL would be very desirable in order to query databases.
- Tableau would be useful.
- Excel would be essential.
- This position is offered on a permanent basis
- Annual salary will be dependent on the skills and experience of the successful candidate.
- Annual leave - 25 days per year (not including bank holidays), increases with length of service
- Health & Wellbeing – our offering includes private medical insurance for employees, their partners and their families, a Digital GP service, and an allowance of up to £550 per year for any activities and/or equipment which supports health and wellbeing.
- Hybrid and remote working – to support your work balance we have introduced hybrid working. You will be provided with designated office desk space, with support to work from home up to a maximum of three days per week
- Flexible working hours – the opportunity to flex your working hours.
- Professional Qualification Support – (discretionary) financial support covering the cost of professional qualifications, including institute membership, exams, study materials and completion bonuses.
- Team fun – warm and social culture with regular get togethers
Bell and Clements is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or parental status.