Underwriter – Direct Underwriting Property Department
Bell & Clements is a specialist insurance company offering expertise in underwriting, broking and capacity management provisions for Excess and Surplus (E&S) lines insurance solutions. The unique combination of broking and underwriting divisions provides the ability to quote and bind risks through inhouse binding authorities, while providing customers with access to Lloyd’s, US and international markets. Bell & Clements has been part of the Munich Re Group since 2007 and is a registered Lloyd’s broker. There are over 150 staff based across the London headquarters and two U.S offices in Virginia and New Jersey with close collaboration throughout.
Bell & Clements offers industry leading technology solutions that benefit both customers and inhouse processes. Being part of the Munich Re Group enables an inclusive culture that is progressive and ambitious with an established employee benefits program.
Why join us?
We are a responsible employer, a value-adding partner, and an innovative name in the insurance market. Building on a proven industry background over 35 years, we have developed and grown a unique and market-leading brand. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Munich Re, we have access to the expertise, products and risk appetite of one of the largest and most successful insurance groups in the world. Our business is continuing to grow, and a key commitment is to not only expand our team through recruiting new roles but also through development opportunities to ensure we are always supporting our talented experts in their career journey. Our talent pool makes us who we are, and our inclusive culture means we are looking to continue to build our team with broad expertise, diverse backgrounds, and ambitious employees. Being part of Bell & Clements provides access to multiple health and wellbeing benefits, work and life balance initiatives (including hybrid working), financial wellbeing packages as well as training, development and career opportunities.
Underwriter – Direct Property
Profitable underwriting, servicing and development of Property business. To pro-actively contribute towards the smooth running of the Direct Underwriting Property Division and other divisions where appropriate.
- Underwriting of new and renewal business daily within agreed authority levels and ensure completion of all post items associated with the task.
- Underwriting of new and renewal business daily for peer review where it falls outside of agreed authority levels.
- Authorise Quotes, Endorsements and other post-related issues that have been referred by other members of the Property team which fall within Authority levels.
- Work closely with capacity provides (for example Great Lakes and Lloyd’s), where appropriate.
- Utilise all office and other web-based systems where appropriate to complete daily tasks.
- Review/Underwrite the daily post, as required.
- Ensure all client queries are dealt with in a timely manner.
- Submit quotes in a timely manner, liaise with customers and manage any queries they may have over the placement and/or quoting of business.
- Create new business relationships where the opportunities arise.
- Pro-actively contribute to departmental and inter-departmental group meetings as and when required.
- Travel as required and necessary.
- To provide the necessary support and assistance to the Chief Underwriting Officer, Head of Direct Underwriting and Head of Property in the management of the Property departments tasks.
- Help, assist and mentor Underwriters, Assistant Underwriters, Underwriting Assistants and Underwriting Administrators with their development within the Direct Underwriting Property.
- Awareness of FCA rules and all relevant regulatory and compliance issues as may be applicable. Assist in implementation where applicable.
- Where necessary work towards professional qualifications.
- To embrace and actively implement the core principles of Continuous Conversations (Commitments, Feedback and Development) as part of daily activities and with other colleagues.
- Take ownership of and make personal and professional development a priority as part of Continuous Conversations.
- In line with Continuous Conversations, establish and achieve development aspirations and needs through the setting of commitments and giving and receiving frequent, constructive feedback (referring to resources provided for support).
- To abide by the policies and procedures of Bell & Clements Ltd.
Key Skills and Experience
- 5 years’ experience of underwriting
- US Property – Desirable
- Commercial Property experience – preferred
- Accuracy, attention to detail and analytical skills essential
- Strong interpersonal, team working and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Negotiation skills and the ability to influence others
- The ability to absorb technical information
- Confident decision-making skills
- Numeracy and statistical skills
- Problem-solving skills and a logical approach to work
- The ability to work to tight deadlines
- This position is offered on a permanent basis
- Annual salary will be dependent on the skills and experience of the successful candidate.
- Annual leave - 25 days per year (not including bank holidays), increases with length of service
- Health & Wellbeing – our offering includes private medical insurance for employees, their partners and their families, a Digital GP service, and an allowance of up to £550 per year for any activities and/or equipment which supports health and wellbeing.
- Hybrid and remote working – to support your work balance we have introduced hybrid working. You will be provided with designated office desk space, with support to work from home up to a maximum of three days per week
- Flexible working hours – the opportunity to flex your working hours.
- Professional Qualification Support – (discretionary) financial support covering the cost of professional qualifications, including institute membership, exams, study materials and completion bonuses.
- Team fun – warm and social culture with regular get togethers
Bell and Clements is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or parental status.