Direct Underwriting Operations Manager
Bell & Clements is a specialist insurance company offering expertise in underwriting, broking and capacity management provisions for Excess and Surplus (E&S) lines insurance solutions. The unique combination of broking and underwriting divisions provides the ability to quote and bind risks through inhouse binding authorities, while providing customers with access to Lloyd’s, US and international markets. Bell & Clements has been part of the Munich Re Group since 2007 and is a registered Lloyd’s broker. There are over 150 staff based across the London headquarters and two U.S offices in Virginia and New Jersey with close collaboration throughout.
Bell & Clements offers industry leading technology solutions that benefit both customers and inhouse processes. Being part of the Munich Re Group enables an inclusive culture that is progressive and ambitious with an established employee benefits program.
Why join us?
We are a responsible employer, a value-adding partner, and an innovative name in the insurance market. Building on a proven industry background over 35 years, we have developed and grown a unique and market-leading brand. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Munich Re, we have access to the expertise, products and risk appetite of one of the largest and most successful insurance groups in the world. Our business is continuing to grow, and a key commitment is to not only expand our team through recruiting new roles but also through development opportunities to ensure we are always supporting our talented experts in their career journey. Our talent pool makes us who we are, and our inclusive culture means we are looking to continue to build our team with broad expertise, diverse backgrounds, and ambitious employees. Being part of Bell & Clements provides access to multiple health and wellbeing benefits, work and life balance initiatives (including hybrid working), financial wellbeing packages as well as training, development and career opportunities.
The Role – Direct Underwriting Operations Manager, based in Bell and Clements London Office.
The role reports into the Head of Direct Underwriting and would oversee the Operational aspects of the Direct Underwriting Teams. This is to include Processes, Compliance, Data, Underwriting Protocols and Underwriting QC functions.
- Responsible for providing operational oversight within the Direct Underwriting Department.
- Take lead responsibility in the onboarding of new teams into the Direct Underwriting Department.
- Take lead responsibility in the onboarding of new lines of business into the Direct Underwriting Department.
- Act as a key focal point for IT projects and developments which impact the Direct Underwriting Department and assist in appropriate prioritisation of projects.
COST AND REVENUE MANAGEMENT
- Understand the profitability of the Direct Underwriting Department and consider mechanisms to improve cost effectiveness and save costs.
- Develop appropriate Management Information and systems to track adoption, and efficiencies generated through specific changes.
- Communicate with the Delegated Authority Oversight Management team to Co-ordinate and manage audits of GLISE cover holders and work with them to implement recommendations.
- Co-ordinate and manage Internal Direct Underwriting File Reviews.
- Co-ordinate and manage Internal Direct Underwriting Department Underwriting Reviews.
- Communicate with Risk Management & Compliance Support department for implementation of subsequent recommendations in respect of the above.
- Help the Direct Underwriting Team reach their production targets through the provision of management information.
- Undertake ad-hoc tasks to assist business development as requested by the Head of Direct Underwriting.
- Review and assess current departmental manual workflows and suggest recommendations for potential changes and efficiencies.
- Co-ordinate with Head of Property Underwriting and Head of Transportation Underwriting regarding internal Underwriting Service Level Agreements, to ensure Underwriting activities are handled in accordance and within Bell and Clements procedures and set time parameters.
- Keep abreast and closely liaise with B&C RMCS department of all Underwriting compliance changes and directives -through Lloyd's/Great Lakes - Munich Re/B&C Compliance department and U.S. requirements. Attend all/any relevant Market meetings (relating to Underwriting Compliance issues).
- Ensure relevant market rules & regulations (Lloyd's/ Great Lakes - Munich Re/U.S.) are considered and met (where applicable/required).
- Provide Underwriting input and assistance to B&C Risk register group &/or B&C Operations committee.
PARTICIPATION IN THE FOLLOWING COMMITTEES/GROUPS/FORUMS
- Attendance at the Operations Committee and ensure positive contribution to all operational matters (as well as any other working groups / forums that are required from time to time).
Key Skills and Experience
- Experienced Underwriting /Operations experience essential.
- Good background in people management and development
- Supporting process improvement through automation
- Development and utilisation of MI
- Manage the differing needs/demands of various stakeholders.
- Experience in a similar operations-focused role
- Industry knowledge
- This position is offered on a permanent basis.
- Annual salary will be dependent on the experience of the successful candidate.
- Annual leave - 25 days per year (not including bank holidays), increases with length of service.
- Health & Wellbeing – our offering includes private medical insurance for employees, their partners and their families, a Digital GP service and an allowance of up to £550 per year for any activities and/or equipment which supports health and wellbeing.
- Hybrid and remote working – to support your work balance we have introduced hybrid working. You will be provided with designated office desk space, with support to work from home up to a maximum of three days per week.
- Flexible working hours – the opportunity to flex your working hours.
- Professional Qualification Support – (discretionary) financial support covering the cost of professional qualifications, including institute membership, exams, study materials and completion bonuses.
- Team fun – warm and social culture with regular get-togethers.
Bell and Clements is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.