Underwriting Assistant - Managed Underwriting
Bell & Clements Limited is a Lloyd’s Broker authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Formed over 35 years ago, we became approved by Lloyd’s in 1987 and then became part of the Munich Re Group in 2007. We offer insurance and reinsurance intermediaries throughout the world access to Lloyd’s of London and to London, European and Bermudian companies.
We specialize in providing US Managing General Agents (“MGAs”) with a comprehensive service for surplus lines business. We are acknowledged market leaders in arranging binding authorities for US MGAs and in managing the relationship between the MGA and Insurers.
We also provide, through our Bell & Clements Underwriting Managers division, a capability to quote and bind a wide variety of risks under our own in-house binding authorities.
Managed Underwriting Department
Based in London, the Managed Underwriting Department currently has a team of 11 employees.
The Role – Underwriting Assistant
To assist in all aspects of the Underwriting process for the Underwriters of the B&C Managed Underwriting Department.
- Assist the Underwriters with the preparation and provision of Business Plan Set Up Sheets, adjustments to GLISE Underwriting Plans and data entry into the Business Plan and all related management documents and databases
- Assist the Underwriters with collating information, drafting findings and recommendations, providing recommendations to the Coverholder and following up recommendations to ensure they are completed
Underwriting Management Process:
- Assist the Underwriters as required with the management of Agreements and individual risk submissions, maintenance of documents and communicating with other Departments as necessary
Statistics and Information:
- Regular production and distribution of:
- Bridge Reports and excel reports including, inter alia
- Aggregate information
- In-force data
- Claims data
- And other ad hoc reports as required by Underwriters
- Data Analysis
- Extraction of data from B&C systems
- Provision of data for underwriting analysis
- Supplementary information including, inter alia
- individual risk information such as mapping, photographs, crime ratings.
- subjects of interest to the MU Team
- Assist the Underwriters as required with the preparation of Coverholder/London Broker meetings and ad hoc meetings:
- Liaise with Underwriters to prepare and provide information to all attendees prior to the meeting, including Statistics, aggregate usage.
- Compile, file and distribute meeting notes
- Follow up on action points and ensure they are completed
Skills and experience
- Experience in an underwriting support role preferred
- Accuracy, attention to detail and analytical skills essential
- Strong interpersonal, team working and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Negotiation skills and the ability to influence others
- The ability to absorb technical information
- Confident decision-making skills
- Numeracy and statistical skills
- Problem-solving skills and a logical approach to work
- The ability to work to tight deadlines
Terms and Conditions
- This position is offered on a permanent basis.
- Annual salary will be dependent on the skills and experience of the successful candidate.
- Benefits as per Bell & Clements standard employee offering (upon successful completion of any probationary period)
Bell and Clements is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.