Senior Software Engineer - US
Bell & Clements (B&C) is a specialist insurance company offering expertise in underwriting, broking and capacity management provisions for Excess and Surplus (E&S) lines insurance solutions. The unique combination of broking and underwriting divisions provides the ability to quote and bind risks through inhouse binding authorities, while providing customers with access to Lloyd’s, US and international markets. B&C has been part of the Munich Re Group since 2007 and is a registered Lloyd’s broker. There are over 150 staff based across the London headquarters and two U.S offices in Virginia and New Jersey with close collaboration throughout.
B&C offers industry leading technology solutions that benefit both customers and inhouse processes. Being part of the Munich Re Group enables an inclusive culture that is progressive and ambitious with an established employee benefits program.
Purpose of the Position
This is an exciting time within B&C, recognised as a market leader in data integrations, the organisation is currently undertaking several large transformation projects. In this varied role within the Client Onboarding Team, we are looking for a talented and experienced Senior Software Engineer to assist with all phases of the software development life cycle, including analysis, design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance of systems for data integrations to client systems. You will provide senior-level application development expertise and facilitate knowledge sharing within the team about best practices and methodologies for software development.
Our Software Engineering team underpins our approach to innovation. Working closely with BAs, Project Managers, internal business functions and our US based clients to build the best bespoke software solutions and API’s to deliver data in real-time.
As we migrate to building cloud native solutions, you will not only be responsible for developing our strategic applications but will be a key contributor to shaping their design so that they are fit for the future. You will be expected to be proactive and challenge the status quo to influence decision making across all aspects of the design and delivery.
Our Software Engineering team is internal and external client facing.
• Abide by the policy and procedures of Bell & Clements Group.
• To support and enhance existing solutions and APIs.
• Develop or enhance software solutions for the company and to diagnose and resolve application defects in a timely and efficient manner.
• Greenfield engineering on new APIs, real-time data integrations, stand-alone applications, and data architecture.
• Unit, Integration, System, and Acceptance testing on new implementations
• Regression testing on enhancements to existing solutions and APIs.
• Audit support and enforce GDPR compliance as needed.
• Assist staff and clients in the processing of monthly regular tasks.
• Create and maintain technical documentation and user guides.
• To develop effective and supportive working relationships with managers, colleagues, stakeholders and clients.
• To cover, support and mentor other members of the team where applicable.
• To lead on projects as needed and agreed by your manager or Chief Innovation Officer.
• Contribute to the establishment, improvement, and enforcement of best practices.
• To consider the impact and use of new software and technologies within the Company.
• To be aware of and evaluate emerging technologies available to assist with software development to enhance the software engineering capabilities of the company.
• To participate fully in IT and Software Engineering team discussions.
• Ensure the B&C IT Project Management Framework (PMF) is adhered to at the inception of and during the design, development, and release phases of IT projects.
• To embrace and actively implement the core principles of Continuous Conversations (Commitments, Feedback and Development) as part of daily activities and with other colleagues.
• Take ownership of and make personal and professional development a priority as part of Continuous Conversations.
• In line with Continuous Conversations, establish and achieve development aspirations and needs through the setting of commitments and giving and receiving frequent, constructive feedback (referring to resources provided for support).
• International travel to clients, vendors, and business stakeholders as required.
Key Skills and Experience
• Programming languages:
o Java Script
• Code platforms / IDEs / Tools:
o MS Visual Studio IDE or MS Visual Studio Code editor
o SQL Server Management Studio or Azure Data Studio
o Redgate toolbelt experience desirable
o Web frameworks, i.e., Angular
• Code repositories:
• Concepts / frameworks:
o .Net Core (DB first architecture)
o XML and JSON schema design
o Relational DB design
o Agile delivery methodology
o Continuous integration / continuous deployment
o Micro service architecture
o API usage (publishing and consuming)
o Data anonymization (data protection principles)
• Ability to communicate clearly with end users, requirements owners and non-technical staff.
• Knowledge of Insurance and Computer Science degree preferable but not essential.
• Extensive experience with designing and developing scalable systems.
• Azure Cloud development experience
• Ability analyse software problems, breaking down the issues, presenting solutions both internally to the business and externally to clients.
Terms and Conditions
• This position is offered on permanent basis.
• Salary will be dependent on the skills and experience of the successful candidate
Bell & Clements is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.