Assistant Underwriter - Managed Underwriting
Bell & Clements Limited is a Lloyd’s Broker authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Formed over 35 years ago, we became approved by Lloyd’s in 1987 and then became part of the Munich Re Group in 2007. We offer insurance and reinsurance intermediaries throughout the world access to Lloyd’s of London and to London, European and Bermudian companies.
We specialize in providing US Managing General Agents (“MGAs”) with a comprehensive service for surplus lines business. We are acknowledged market leaders in arranging binding authorities for US MGAs and in managing the relationship between the MGA and Insurers.
We also provide, through our Bell & Clements Underwriting Managers division, a capability to quote and bind a wide variety of risks under our own in-house binding authorities.
Managed Underwriting Department
Based in London, the Managed Underwriting Department currently has a team of 11 employees.
The Role – Assistant Underwriter
To assist in all aspects of the Underwriting process for the Underwriters of the B&C Managed Underwriting Department.
- Assist Underwriters with all aspects of the management of Binding Authority Agreements. To include:
- assisting with monitoring the performance of the portfolio and individual Agreements
- triaging and assisting with the underwriting of new and renewal risks submitted for special acceptance under the Agreements
- assisting in the underwriting of new Agreements and amendments to existing Agreements
- maintenance of databases and documents relating to the underwriting process
- liaison with Coverholders, Brokers and other Departments as necessary
- Assist Underwriters throughout the annual planning process including preparation and review of reports for performance review, provision of Business Plan Set Up Sheets in preparation for the renewal of individual Agreements, and adjustments to Underwriting Plans and all related management documents and databases
- Assist Underwriters with collating information, drafting findings and recommendations, providing recommendations to the Coverholder and following up recommendations to ensure they are completed
Statistics and Information:
- Regular production, distribution and analysis of statistical reports including, inter alia
- Aggregate information
- In-force data
- Claims data
- And other ad hoc reports as required by Underwriters
- Extraction and manipulation of data from B&C systems to assist Underwriters with review and analysis of the portfolio and individual Binding Authority Agreements
- Provision and review of supplementary information to assist in the underwriting of Agreements and individual risks including, inter alia
- individual risk information such as mapping, photographs, crime ratings
- market research and industry information of interest to the MU Team
- Assist Underwriters as required with the preparation of Coverholder/Broker meetings and other routine and ad hoc meetings with internal and external stakeholders
- Liaise with Underwriters to prepare and provide all required documents and reports to attendees prior to meetings
- Compile, file and distribute meeting notes
- Follow up on action points and ensure they are completed
Skills and experience
- Experience in an underwriting support role - essential
- Numeracy, analytical and statistical skills - essential
- Accuracy and attention to detail - essential
- Experience in Delegated Authority business - preferred
- Exposure to Property business preferred - preferred
- Strong interpersonal, team working and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Negotiation skills and the ability to influence others
- The ability to absorb technical information
- Confident decision-making skills
- Problem-solving skills and a logical approach to work
- The ability to work to tight deadlines
Terms and Conditions
- This position is offered on a permanent basis.
- Annual salary will be dependent on the skills and experience of the successful candidate.
- Benefits as per Bell & Clements standard employee offering (upon successful completion of any probationary period).
Bell and Clements is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.